World

US Stops Bomb Shipment To Israel Against Rafah Invasion, Says Official

US stopped sending bombs to Israel last week due to worries that Israel was getting close to deciding to launch a full-scale attack on the southern Gaza city of Rafah against US preferences, according to a senior administration official on Tuesday.

According to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive subject, the shipment was supposed to contain 1,800 2,000-pound bombs and 1,700 500-pound bombs. The US was particularly concerned about the larger explosives and how they could be used in a densely populated area.

Following the terrorist group’s deadly attack on Israel on October 7, more than a million residents sought refuge in Rafah after fleeing other areas of Gaza.

Despite months of resistance from the White House, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government appeared to be moving closer to an invasion of Rafah in April, prompting President Joe Biden’s administration to start considering future shipments of military assistance to Israel.

According to the official, the decision to halt the shipment was taken last week, and it hasn’t been decided whether to move forward with it now or at a later time.

The evaluation did not address upcoming shipments; rather, it concerned the State Department’s independent deliberation over whether to authorize the continuous supply of Joint Direct Attack Munition kits which mount precision guidance systems on bombs to Israel.

Also Read: Srikala’s Nomination To Contest Lok Sabha Elections Rejected, Family Members Claim Removed Under Conspiracy

Shivanshi Srivastava

Recent Posts

Delhi Police Seek Details On Foreign-Trained Doctors As Red Fort Blast Probe Expands

Delhi Police are seeking details of foreign-trained doctors as part of the Red Fort blast…

1 hour ago

Early RSV Infection Strongly Linked To Higher Childhood Asthma Risk, Scientists Report

Early RSV infection raises childhood asthma risk, especially in allergy-prone families, but newborn protection can…

3 hours ago

National Herald Case: Court Defers Cognisance Decision To 16 December

The Rouse Avenue Court in Delhi on Saturday again deferred its decision on taking cognisance…

4 hours ago

Sensex And Nifty Log Third Week Of Gains On Global Tailwinds

Indian markets posted a third straight week of modest gains, with the Nifty and Sensex…

4 hours ago

Iran To Skip 2026 World Cup Draw After US Denies Visas To Officials

Iran’s Football Federation says it will skip the 2026 World Cup draw after the US…

4 hours ago

Flags Lowered To Half-Mast As Hong Kong Mourns Tai Po Fire Victims

Hong Kong mourned the Tai Po blaze victims as the death toll reached 128 and…

5 hours ago