World

Canadian Government Bans Assault-Style Firearms, Public Safety Minister Says “Protecting Families, Children…”

The Canadian government is all set to propose a ban on ‘assault-style firearms’ that would apply once legislation now before Parliament comes into force.

Canada proposes a ban on assault-style firearms

According to the announcement made by the government, it would make regulations through the Firearms Act to ensure that guns are classified correctly before entering the Canadian market.

Speaking to the media at a news conference, Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said, “I want to make it clear that our government is not targeting hunters and law-abiding gun owners.”

“What we’re doing is protecting families, protecting our children, protecting our communities.”

Govt. to recreate the firearms advisory committee

Moreover, the government is also planning to recreate a firearms advisory committee that will make recommendations on the classification of guns now on the market. The minister also said the committee will include rural and northern residents, Indigenous people, industry leaders, law enforcement and gun control advocates.

“Guided by the committee’s recommendation we will increase the classifications of firearms for ban,” he added.  “This committee will be convened quickly and asked to provide its advice to the government as soon as this summer.”

Further, the Public Safety Minister said measures are being taken so future governments “will have a very difficult time making assault-style firearms legal again.”

In February, the Liberals withdrew a gun bill amendment that would have spelt out in law the various models to fall under an assault-style firearm ban.

They had touted the definition as a measure that would cement in legislation a May 2020 regulatory ban of some 1,500 firearm models and variants, as well as 482 others flagged subsequently. The government pulled the measure after weeks of criticism from Conservative MPs and some firearm advocates who said the definition would prohibit many commonly used hunting rifles and shotguns.

Also Read: Quad Meeting Date And Place Released, White House Says – “No Plans For New Members At This Time”

‘Recent efforts are confusing & misleading’

Taking notes from the recent instructions, the Gun-control advocates said the effort was clouded by confusing language and misleading or erroneous claims from opponents.

Prominent gun-control group PolySeSouvient swiftly denounced the new plan, accusing the government of proposing a watered-down definition that would apply only to future models and could be easily circumvented.

It also expressed dismay that the government is dropping its plan to ban the additional 482 assault-style models identified last year, leaving them in circulation and available for purchase.

Alina Khan

Recent Posts

Parliament Passes Immigration And Foreigners Bill For Enhanced Security

Parliament approved the Immigration and Foreigners Bill, 2025, on Wednesday, which aims to regulate the…

9 seconds ago

PM Modi Heads To Thailand For 6th BIMSTEC Summit; Strengthen Regional Relations

Prime Minister Narendra Modi headed for Bangkok on Thursday to attend the 6th BIMSTEC Summit…

43 mins ago

Delhi High Court Stays Appointment Of Anilkumar Prabhakaran As AIFF General Secretary

The Delhi High Court has stayed the appointment of Anilkumar Prabhakaran as the General Secretary…

2 hours ago

MCOCA Case: Delhi High Court To Hear Naresh Baliyan’s Bail Plea On April 9

The Delhi High Court will hear the bail plea of former AAP MLA Naresh Baliyan…

2 hours ago

SC Upholds Rajasthan’s Electricity Regulations; Dismissing Power Companies Plea

The Supreme Court has granted a major relief to the Rajasthan government by upholding the…

15 hours ago

SC Expresses Concern Over Rising Trend Of False Rape Cases On Marriage Promises

The Supreme Court has expressed concern over the rising tendency to register rape cases based…

15 hours ago