World

US President Joe Biden Ends COVID National Emergency

The US national emergency to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic ended Monday as President Joe Biden signed a bipartisan congressional resolution to bring it to a close after three years — weeks before it was set to expire alongside a separate public health emergency.

The national emergency

The national emergency allowed the government to take sweeping steps to respond to the virus and support the country’s economic, health, and welfare systems. Some of the emergency measures have already been successfully wound down, while others are still being phased out. The public health emergency — it underpins tough immigration restrictions at the US-Mexico border — is set to expire on May 11.

The White House issued a one-line statement Monday saying Biden had signed the measure behind closed doors, after having publicly opposed the resolution though not to the point of issuing a veto. More than 197 Democrats in the House voted against it when the GOP-controlled chamber passed it in February. Last month, as the measure passed the Senate by a 68-23 vote, Biden let lawmakers know he would sign it.

The administration said once it became clear that Congress was moving to speed up the end of the national emergency it worked to expedite agency preparations for a return to normal procedures.

Also read: Stay Silent: US! Leaked US Intel: Russia Operatives Claimed New Ties With UAE

Among the changes

The Department of Housing and Urban Development’s COVID-19 mortgage forbearance program is set to end at the end of May, and the Department of Veterans Affairs is now returning to a requirement for in-home visits to determine eligibility for caregiver assistance.

Legislators last year did extend for another two years telehealth flexibilities that were introduced as COVID-19 hit, leading health care systems around the country to regularly deliver care by smartphone or computer.

More than 1.13 million people in the U.S. have died from COVID-19 over the last three years, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, including 1,773 people in the week ending April 5.

Then-President Donald Trump’s Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar first declared a public health emergency on Jan. 31, 2020, and Trump declared the COVID-19 pandemic a national emergency that March. The emergencies have been repeatedly extended to Biden since he took office in January 2021, and he broadened the use of emergency powers after entering the White House.

Shruti Chaturvedi

Recent Posts

NIA Secures Further Custody Of Anmol Bishnoi As Probe Into Terror Syndicate Deepens

The NIA has secured another seven days’ custody of international gangster Anmol Bishnoi, the younger…

1 hour ago

Delhi Police Seek Details On Foreign-Trained Doctors As Red Fort Blast Probe Expands

Delhi Police are seeking details of foreign-trained doctors as part of the Red Fort blast…

2 hours ago

Early RSV Infection Strongly Linked To Higher Childhood Asthma Risk, Scientists Report

Early RSV infection raises childhood asthma risk, especially in allergy-prone families, but newborn protection can…

4 hours ago

National Herald Case: Court Defers Cognisance Decision To 16 December

The Rouse Avenue Court in Delhi on Saturday again deferred its decision on taking cognisance…

4 hours ago

Sensex And Nifty Log Third Week Of Gains On Global Tailwinds

Indian markets posted a third straight week of modest gains, with the Nifty and Sensex…

5 hours ago

Iran To Skip 2026 World Cup Draw After US Denies Visas To Officials

Iran’s Football Federation says it will skip the 2026 World Cup draw after the US…

5 hours ago