World

Child Serial Killer: UK Nurse Kills 7 Newly Born, Given Life Sentence For Murder

A nurse from Britain will be given death sentence on Monday for killing seven newborn babies and trying to murder other six whom she was looking after as a caretaker.

Lucy Letby, 33, killed five boy and two girls was arrested after a series of newly born deaths at the neonatal unit of the Countess of Chester Hospital in northwest England between June 2015 and June 2016.

As per the prosecution, the accused killed the newly born by feeding them with excess milk, poisoning them with insulin or injecting them with air. After 110 hours of deliberations and discussions a jury at Manchester Crown Court ended which started in October.

The jury cleared Letby of two counts of attempted murder and were unable to reach decisions on six other counts of attempted murder. Letby, though, may never be able to leave prison due to the several murder convictions. In the dock, Letby fought back tears as the jury handed down its initial guilty verdicts earlier in August. She apparently informed her lawyers that she will not attend her sentencing even as she was not present in court for the final convictions.

Some of the victims’ family said that justice was given however it can never take away the kind of pain, hurt and anger they have been through. They even mentioned that result was ‘bittersweet’ as a few did not receive the kind of result they wanted.

The first newly born Letby attacked were twins in early June 2015, in which the boy died who was just a day old while his elder sister survived the murder attempt. In June 2016, two triplet brothers died in 24 hours after which the accused was removed and given duties of a clerk.

She was arrested in July 2018 for the first time and in her third detainment took place in November 2020 following her formal police custody. However, Letby’s intention of doing such henious crime remained unclear.

Whenever a newly born died the accused was on shifts and they were attacked as their parents left the cots. Letby always showed interest in the victim’s family and searched them on social media. She often sent sympathy cards to the parents of children whom she was later convicted of murdering.

As per the police searches in Letsby’s home, a letter was found with “I am evil I did this” written on it in capital letters. However, she refused the charges against her and said that it was the shortcoming of hospital and fault of four senior doctors who are trying to put the blame on her shoulders in order to conceal their mistakes.

Also Read: Also Read: Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla Summons Patna DM and SSP Delhi Over Laticharge On BJP Leaders

Shivanshi Srivastava

Recent Posts

NIA Secures Further Custody Of Anmol Bishnoi As Probe Into Terror Syndicate Deepens

The NIA has secured another seven days’ custody of international gangster Anmol Bishnoi, the younger…

59 mins ago

Delhi Police Seek Details On Foreign-Trained Doctors As Red Fort Blast Probe Expands

Delhi Police are seeking details of foreign-trained doctors as part of the Red Fort blast…

1 hour ago

Early RSV Infection Strongly Linked To Higher Childhood Asthma Risk, Scientists Report

Early RSV infection raises childhood asthma risk, especially in allergy-prone families, but newborn protection can…

3 hours ago

National Herald Case: Court Defers Cognisance Decision To 16 December

The Rouse Avenue Court in Delhi on Saturday again deferred its decision on taking cognisance…

4 hours ago

Sensex And Nifty Log Third Week Of Gains On Global Tailwinds

Indian markets posted a third straight week of modest gains, with the Nifty and Sensex…

4 hours ago

Iran To Skip 2026 World Cup Draw After US Denies Visas To Officials

Iran’s Football Federation says it will skip the 2026 World Cup draw after the US…

5 hours ago