On Wednesday, after a trainee opened fire at the Japanese army training range, the military said that the death toll in a shooting has risen to two.
“The death of another person has been confirmed of the three who were shot at”, the Ground Self-Defense Force said in a terse statement previously reporting a first death and two injuries.
The Japanese government first claimed that three individuals were injured in the incident, but the country’s Self-Defense Forces later announced that two of the wounded had died.
In a statement, the Ground Self-Defense Force said, “During a live-bullet exercise as part of new personnel training, one Self-Defense Forces candidate fired at three personnel”.
“The death of one person has been confirmed. Two were injured”, the statement further reads.
Earlier, government spokesman Hirokazu Matsuno stated that a suspect had been apprehended, but provided no further information.
According to the local authorities, the shooter was an 18-year-old SDF candidate who was taken into custody on the spot by other soldiers.
A local police spokesman said, “He was accused of the attempted murder of a 25-year-old soldier”.
“The suspect fired a rifle at the victim with the intent to kill”, the spokesman added.
Also read: 4 Fresh Earthquake Hits Jammu And Kashmir
PM Modi arrived in Bangkok on Thursday, where he was welcomed by Thailand’s Deputy PM…
The Waqf Amendment Bill, 2025, passed by the Lok Sabha after a heated 12-hour debate,…
On Thursday, PM Modi extended his greetings on the fifth day of Chaitra Navratri, wishing…
The Delhi High Court has directed the Delhi MCD to investigate whether there is any…
BJP leader Khem Chand Sharma has expressed strong support for the Waqf Amendment Bill 2025,…
On Thursday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reached Bangkok to participate in the 6th BIMSTEC Summit.