World

United States: No Plans To Withdrawal From Iraq

The Pentagon stated on Monday that it does not intend to withdraw its about 2,500 troops from Iraq, despite Baghdad’s announcement last week that it would begin the process of removing the US-led military coalition from the nation.

“Right now, I’m not aware of any plans (to plan for withdrawal). We continue to remain very focused on the defeat of ISIS mission”, said Patrick Ryder, Air Force Major General, adding that US forces are in Iraq at the government’s invitation.

Ryder also stated that he was unaware of any indication by Baghdad to the Department of Defence of a decision to remove US forces and referred reporters to the US State Department for any diplomatic discussions.

On Friday, Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani’s office announced plans to evacuate US forces in response to a US drone strike in Baghdad that was condemned by the government.

The Pentagon stated that the strike killed a militia leader responsible for recent attacks on US forces.

The US strike on Thursday, four years after another one in Baghdad that killed a top Iranian general, sparked indignation among Iran-aligned groups, who urged that the government halt the coalition’s presence in Iraq.

President Joe Biden and US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin authorized the strike before Austin was brought to a hospital on New Year’s Day, where he remains.

The United States has 900 troops in Syria and Iraq on a mission to advise and support local forces in preventing a revival of Islamic State, which controlled major sections of both countries before being defeated in 2014.

Also read: Israeli Strike Kills Two Journalists

Spriha Rai

Recent Posts

Sensex Falls 931 Points As Trump’s Tariff Move Triggers Global Selloff

The Sensex dropped 930.67 points, or 1.22 per cent, to settle at 75,364.69. It moved…

1 hour ago

Supreme Court To Hear Muslim Side’s Plea In Mathura Dispute On April 8

The SC will hear the Muslim side’s petition in the Mathura Krishna Janmabhoomi dispute on…

2 hours ago

DNA Can’t Confirm Rape Without Proof Of Lack Of Consent: Delhi High Court

Justice Amit Mahajan said that even if DNA proves the accused is the biological father…

2 hours ago

Supreme Court Allows Yasin Malik To Cross-Examine Witnesses Via Video From Tihar Jail

The SC allowed Yasin Malik to cross-examine prosecution witnesses via video conferencing from Tihar jail,…

2 hours ago

Delhi HC Orders Customs To Stop Seizing Personal Jewellery Of Air Passengers

The Delhi HC directed Customs Department officials not to confiscate old or personal jewellery worn…

2 hours ago

PM Modi Unveils 21-Point Action Plan To Boost BIMSTEC Cooperation At Bangkok Summit

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday unveiled a 21-point action plan at the BIMSTEC Summit…

4 hours ago