A UN official stated that Israel’s military warned the UN early Friday that the 1.1 million Palestinians in Gaza should transfer to the enclave’s south within the next 24 hours, in what Palestinians fear could be a precursor to a planned Israeli ground offensive.
In a statement, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric stated, “The United Nations considers it impossible for such a movement to take place without devastating humanitarian consequences”.
“The United Nations strongly appeals for any such order, if confirmed, to be rescinded avoiding what could transform what is already a tragedy into a calamitous situation”, Dujarric continued.
According to Dujarric, the Israeli military order also applied to all UN workers and those protected in UN facilities such as schools, health centers, and clinics.
The Israeli delegation to the United Nations in New York did not reply immediately to a request for comment.
The weekend assault by Hamas murdered 1,300 people and was Israel’s history bloodiest attack on civilians.
So far, Israel has responded by laying siege to Gaza, home to 2.3 million people, and unleashing a bombing campaign that has destroyed entire neighborhoods.
According to Gaza authorities, around 1,500 Palestinians have been killed.
Also read: Over 423,000 People Displaced In Gaza, Says United Nations
The Sensex dropped 930.67 points, or 1.22 per cent, to settle at 75,364.69. It moved…
The SC will hear the Muslim side’s petition in the Mathura Krishna Janmabhoomi dispute on…
Justice Amit Mahajan said that even if DNA proves the accused is the biological father…
The SC allowed Yasin Malik to cross-examine prosecution witnesses via video conferencing from Tihar jail,…
The Delhi HC directed Customs Department officials not to confiscate old or personal jewellery worn…
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday unveiled a 21-point action plan at the BIMSTEC Summit…