India

Gunfight Triggered In Manipur: Security Forces Attacked, Reinforcements Blocked

People with knowledge of the situation said that Meitei women’s groups prevented the arrival of reinforcements to Molnoi in Manipur, which has been ravaged by ethnic violence, after unidentified assailants opened fire on security officers on Friday morning, sparking a shootout.

Gunfire by assailants

Around six in the morning, gunfire was shot by the assailants who were concealed in a bush. “Reinforcements were moving towards Molnoi while the gun battle raged on. Meira Paibis [Meitei women] are impeding their progress, according to an official who wished to remain unnamed. The official also said it was unclear who the attackers were.

No casualties

Police and central forces did not report any casualties until 9.30am. Last week, new violence broke out after a week of calm. At least eight persons were killed and over twenty wounded on August 29 and August 31, after skirmishes between the Kuki tribe and the majority Meiteis. Three members of the India Reserve Battalion were also injured.

Also read: World Bank Acknowledged India’s Digital Infrastructure ‘Five-Decade Journey In 6 Years’

Following a call by the women’s wing of a coalition of Meitei organisations for a march to demand the removal of a security roadblock at Phougakchao Ikhai hamlet, a curfew was enacted in five districts of Manipur on Tuesday.

COCOMI against Asaam rifles

The collective COCOMI wants the Assam Rifles to leave Manipur because they are unfair. Meitei women’s organisations have protested the force numerous times.
A Manipuri leader received a legal notice from Assam Rifles last month for allegedly accusing the unit of supporting Kuki militants during the battles with Meiteis in his remarks. In a first information report, the      Manipur Police claimed that the Assam Rifles had prevented them from following Kuki militants beyond a buffer zone.
According to Assam Rifles, its soldiers were merely adhering to the buffer zone regulations set up to reestablish normalcy. For allegedly discouraging the return of weapons stolen from police armories, it filed a sedition prosecution against COCOMI.

Also read: World Bank Acknowledged India’s Digital Infrastructure ‘Five-Decade Journey In 6 Years’

The Meiteis reside in the Imphal valley and plains, whereas the Kukis and other tribal communities reside in hill areas. To prevent armed individuals from both the Kukis and Meitei sides from crossing them to conduct attacks, the central forces are stationed in the buffer zones or regions next to the foothills.

State police forbidden from entering buffer zones

Even state police have been forbidden from entering the buffer zones without being accompanied by central forces. Amidst accusations of bias against the state police, the instruction was issued.
Since May 3, approximately 150 people have died as a result of racial conflict between the Metei and Kuki communities, and about 50,000 people have been evacuated.

Srushti Sharma

Recent Posts

Targeted Attacks Label LIC’s Adani, Reliance Stakes As Risky

Growing pressure campaigns aim to influence LIC’s investment decisions, raising concerns about destabilising long-term infrastructure…

21 mins ago

Queensland Court Blocks Activist As Adani’s Carmichael Mine Wins Confidentiality Battle

A Queensland court permanently barred activist Ben Pennings from seeking Adani’s confidential Carmichael mine data,…

37 mins ago

PM Modi & Acharya Pramod Krishnam Steer Kalki Dham’s Rapid Rise In Sambhal

The ongoing construction of Shri Kalki Dham in Sambhal shows rapid progress as skilled artisans…

2 hours ago

PM Anthony Albanese Marries Jodie Haydon In Intimate Ceremony At The Lodge

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married Jodie Haydon on Saturday at The Lodge, the first…

3 hours ago

NIA Secures Further Custody Of Anmol Bishnoi As Probe Into Terror Syndicate Deepens

The NIA has secured another seven days’ custody of international gangster Anmol Bishnoi, the younger…

4 hours ago

Delhi Police Seek Details On Foreign-Trained Doctors As Red Fort Blast Probe Expands

Delhi Police are seeking details of foreign-trained doctors as part of the Red Fort blast…

4 hours ago