India

China, NewsClick, Congress Linked To ‘Anti-India Umbilical Cord’: Anurag Thakur On Report Of Chinese Firms Funding Website

BJP leader and Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur on Monday charged that China, NewsClick website, and the Congress are linked to an “anti-India umbilical cord” as he cited a news report that alleged that companies linked to China were funding the portal. In a report titled, “A Global Web of Chinese Propaganda Leads to a US Tech Mogul”, The New York Times has claimed that the news portal was part of a global network that received funding from American millionaire Neville Roy Singham, who allegedly works closely with the Chinese government media machine. “In New Delhi, corporate filings show, Singham’s network financed a news site, NewsClick, that sprinkled its coverage with Chinese government talking points.

‘China’s history continues to inspire the working classes,’ one video said,” The New York Times report noted. Addressing a press conference along with Union Minister Rajeev Chandrasekhar at the BJP headquarters here, Thakur said India was telling the world that NewsClick was a dangerous global network of propaganda. When Enforcement Directorate raids were conducted against NewsClick two years ago, he said, the Congress and other opposition parties stood by the news portal and questioned the government’s action, raising the issue of press freedom.

Also read: It Is An Effort To ‘Restore Faith In Law’ Says Supreme Court As It Appoints Ex Maha DGP For Investigation Of Manipur Violence

“The newspaper (NYT), about which Congress and opposition parties talk big, has confirmed what India had said two years ago. In 2021, we exposed NewsClick and how the foreign hand was working against India,” Thakur said. The Congress and opposition parties had then come in support of the “anti-India, break India campaign,” he charged. “Congress, China and NewsClick are part of one anti-India umbilical cord,” Thakur alleged, adding “Chinese goods are being sold in Rahul Gandhi ji’s fake ‘Mohabbat ki Dukan’ (shop of love).”

The minister said, “If you see the funding network of NewsClick, it was funded by a foreigner, Neville Roy Singham, and he gets funds from China. Neville Roy Singham has direct contact with the propaganda arm of the Communist Party of China and the Chinese media company Maku Group,” he said. “They present fake news in the name of free news. Congress and other parties are supporting them,” he alleged. Earlier in the day, BJP member Nishikant Dubey mentioned in Lok Sabha the New York Times report. There was no immediate reaction available from the news portal or Congress.

(Source – PTI)

Bharat Express English

Recent Posts

PM Modi Announces Sending Lord Buddha’s Relics To Thailand

PM Modi announced that India will send relics of Lord Buddha, discovered in Gujarat’s Aravalli…

8 hours ago

PM Modi Shares Highlights From Bangkok: A Vibrant Welcome, Community Connect, & The Ramayan!

Prime Minister Narendra Modi highlighted the deep cultural ties between India and Thailand during his…

8 hours ago

Judicial Strength At Risk, Says Delhi HC Bar Association On Justice Singh’s Transfer

The Delhi High Court Bar Association has raised concerns over Justice Chandra Dhari Singh’s transfer…

9 hours ago

PM Modi: Thailand Key To India’s ‘Act East’ Policy & Indo-Pacific Vision

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, during his visit to Bangkok, highlighted Thailand's strategic importance in India's…

9 hours ago

Thailand Releases Commemorative Stamp Showcasing 18th-Century Ramayan Murals During PM Modi’s Visit

Thailand unveiled a commemorative stamp featuring 18th-century Ramayan mural paintings, marking the first day of…

10 hours ago

Centuries-Old Bonds Strengthen As India-Thailand Deepen Partnership: PM Modi

PM Modi and Thai PM Paetongtarn Shinawatra elevate India-Thailand ties to a strategic partnership in…

10 hours ago