World

Israel Announces Killing Of Hamas Chief Yahya Sinwar

On Thursday evening, Israel announced the killing of Yahya Sinwar, a top Hamas leader. Sinwar, considered the mastermind behind the brutal attacks of October 2023, which resulted in the deaths of 1,200 Israeli citizens and the abduction of over 250, was eliminated following a year-long manhunt.

Chief of Staff of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), Lieutenant General Herzi Halevi confirmed the operation’s success.

In a statement late Thursday, Herzi Halevi stated, “After a long and determined pursuit that lasted an entire year, our forces have eliminated Yahya Sinvar, the leader of the Hamas terror organisation and main person responsible for the massacre and kidnapping of many Israelis. I have now met the force that eliminated him yesterday in clashes in the Gaza strip.”

Earlier that day, IDF forces reported the elimination of three Hamas militants during an operation in northern Gaza. The forces further asserted that they were working to verify if one of them was Sinwar.

Additionally, hours later, the IDF confirmed Sinwar’s elimination.

Halevi further stated, “The force acted correctly with professionalism and determination, not because it knew Sinwar was there but because our fighters operate with excellence in every encounter with terrorists, in all sectors.”

“The courage and determination of the IDF forces, working in all arenas, brought him to his end. We said we would get to him, and we did get to him. The world is now better off without him,” Herzi Halevi added.

Yahya Sinwar Remains Hidden In Gaza Since October Attacks

Sinwar became the head of Hamas’ political bureau, taking over from Ismail Haniyeh, killed in Tehran during the swearing-in ceremony of Iran’s new President, Masoud Pezeshkian, in July this year.

Israel stated that Sinwar, 61, stayed out of public view since the 7 October attacks last year. They believe he is hiding in Gaza’s vast tunnel network, frequently moving and possibly accompanied by hostages.

Following the confirmation of Sinwar’ death, the IDF chief stated, “We will continue to pursue and eliminate all those who threaten the citizens of the State of Israel. We will not stop until we catch all the terrorists involved in 7/10 and return all the abductees home.”

In previous weeks, reports had surfaced suggesting that Israel had proposed a deal offering Sinwar safe passage out of Gaza in exchange for the release of hostages, but Hamas had rejected the offer.

Meanwhile, a Hamas official last month said that Sinwar will remain in the Gaza Strip. He further added that he is ‘willing to die for Palestine’.

Following the announcement of Sinwar’s death, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated, “Today evil has suffered a heavy blow, but the task before us is not yet complete.”

The IDF also revealed that, to date, numerous Hamas militants have been eliminated through targeted airstrikes and ground operations, while weapons stockpiles and fortified Hamas positions have been destroyed during ongoing military actions.

Also Read: Indian Inquiry Team Meets US Officials Over Alleged Plot Involving Khalistani Separatist

Mankrit Kaur

Recent Posts

Early RSV Infection Strongly Linked To Higher Childhood Asthma Risk, Scientists Report

Early RSV infection raises childhood asthma risk, especially in allergy-prone families, but newborn protection can…

1 hour ago

National Herald Case: Court Defers Cognisance Decision To 16 December

The Rouse Avenue Court in Delhi on Saturday again deferred its decision on taking cognisance…

2 hours ago

Sensex And Nifty Log Third Week Of Gains On Global Tailwinds

Indian markets posted a third straight week of modest gains, with the Nifty and Sensex…

2 hours ago

Iran To Skip 2026 World Cup Draw After US Denies Visas To Officials

Iran’s Football Federation says it will skip the 2026 World Cup draw after the US…

2 hours ago

Flags Lowered To Half-Mast As Hong Kong Mourns Tai Po Fire Victims

Hong Kong mourned the Tai Po blaze victims as the death toll reached 128 and…

3 hours ago

Delhi Wakes To Another Day Of Heavy Pollution; No Improvement Expected

Delhi continued to battle heavy pollution on Saturday, with the CPCB reporting an AQI of…

3 hours ago