World

India And China To Resume Kailash Mansarovar Yatra This Summer

China and India are advancing preparations to resume the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra this summer, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Monday.

Calling it an important part of cultural and people-to-people exchanges, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun underlined its significance.

He said the ‘sacred mountain and lake’ remain extremely important for believers of Tibetan Buddhism, Hinduism, and other religions.

“As agreed between China and India, the pilgrimage will resume this summer,” Guo stated during a regular media briefing in Beijing.

“The two sides are advancing relevant preparations at the moment,” he added.

Meanwhile, Guo said that this year marks the 75th anniversary of China-India diplomatic ties.

He stressed that China is ready to work with India to strengthen ties and implement the leaders’ important understandings.

Last week, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) announced that the much-awaited Yatra would take place between June and August this year.

According to a statement by the MEA, five batches of 50 Yatris each will travel through Uttarakhand via Lipulekh Pass.

Additionally, ten batches of 50 Yatris each will travel through Sikkim via Nathu La Pass.

The MEA confirmed that the website kmy.gov.in has opened for applications. It noted that Yatris will be selected through a ‘fair, computer-generated, random, and gender-balanced’ selection process.

Since 2015, the entire Kailash Mansarovar Yatra application and selection process has been fully computerised.

Furthermore, the MEA said applicants need not send letters or faxes for information. Instead, they can use feedback options on the website to get updates or make suggestions.

Both countries had been finalising modalities for the Yatra’s resumption since early this year.

The Kailash Mansarovar Yatra has remained suspended since 2020 due to the Covid-19 outbreak and China’s non-renewal of Yatra arrangements.

It was after a Foreign Secretary–Vice Foreign Minister meeting in January that both sides announced plans to resume the Yatra in the summer of 2025.

The meeting, led by Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri, reviewed India-China relations and agreed to take steps to stabilise and rebuild ties.

Finally, both sides also agreed, in principle, to resume direct air services between India and China. Relevant technical authorities are now negotiating a new framework for the same.

Also Read: India & France Sign ₹63,000 Crore Deal For 26 Rafale Marine Jets To Strengthen Naval Aviation

Ajaypal Choudhary

Recent Posts

PM Modi & Acharya Pramod Krishnam Steer Kalki Dham’s Rapid Rise In Sambhal

The ongoing construction of Shri Kalki Dham in Sambhal shows rapid progress as skilled artisans…

53 mins ago

PM Anthony Albanese Marries Jodie Haydon In Intimate Ceremony At The Lodge

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married Jodie Haydon on Saturday at The Lodge, the first…

1 hour ago

NIA Secures Further Custody Of Anmol Bishnoi As Probe Into Terror Syndicate Deepens

The NIA has secured another seven days’ custody of international gangster Anmol Bishnoi, the younger…

2 hours ago

Delhi Police Seek Details On Foreign-Trained Doctors As Red Fort Blast Probe Expands

Delhi Police are seeking details of foreign-trained doctors as part of the Red Fort blast…

3 hours ago

Early RSV Infection Strongly Linked To Higher Childhood Asthma Risk, Scientists Report

Early RSV infection raises childhood asthma risk, especially in allergy-prone families, but newborn protection can…

5 hours ago

National Herald Case: Court Defers Cognisance Decision To 16 December

The Rouse Avenue Court in Delhi on Saturday again deferred its decision on taking cognisance…

5 hours ago