World

Drone Attack On Crimea Ammunition Depot Prompts Evacuation And Bridge Closure

The region’s Moscow-installed governor said on Saturday that a drone attack on a Crimea ammunition depot caused officials to evacuate a 5 km (3-mile) radius and temporarily halt traffic on the bridge linking the peninsula to Russia.

Ukraine’s army said it had damaged an oil depot and the Russian army deported to the temporarily occupied district of Oktiabrske in central Crimea.

According to Russian-installed governor Sergei Aksyonov, the attack caused ammo storage to explode, although there was no recorded damage or casualties.

State media footage from the scene revealed a large cloud of grey smoke.

Later, Aksyonov stated that all rail traffic in the affected area, which had been temporarily disrupted, had resumed normal operation.

The Health Ministry stated that 12 persons required medical assistance and four were brought to the hospital.

In 2014, Russia grabbed and annexed Crimea from Ukraine, eight years before beginning a full-scale invasion of the country.

The brief pause in traffic on the Crimean Bridge, roughly 180 km (110 miles) east of the drone incident, came five days after blasts there killed two people and destroyed a portion of roadway – the bridge’s second significant strike since the war started.

The 19 km (12 miles) road and rail bridge is a crucial logistics route for the Russian military, as well as a popular summer destination for Russian tourists.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Friday that the bridge was a legal target because it served as a military supply route for Russia.

“This is the route used to feed the war with ammunition and on a daily basis”, he explained.

Russia is on high alert for bridge catastrophes, and an official Telegram channel tells people not to panic if an alarm goes off.

Oleg Kryuchkov, an adviser to Aksyonov, cautioned people not to share images of critical infrastructure on the internet as another indicator of security worries in Crimea.

He asked anyone who knew the writers of such posts to report them to the interior ministry or the FSB security service.

“Remember that a video of military or other critical facilities posted on the web is working for the enemy”, he warned.

Also read: Russian Governor: Kyiv Bombed A Border Village With Cluster Bombs

Spriha Rai

Recent Posts

PM Modi’s Khadi Push Takes The Ramp: ‘Navyug Khadi’ Fashion Show Redefines Indian Style At Pragati Maidan

The Navyug Khadi Fashion Show showcased khadi’s modern transformation, blending PM Modi’s vision, artisan heritage,…

1 hour ago

Winter Session Set For Political Firestorm In Parliament

Parliament braces for a stormy winter session as the government pushes reforms and the Opposition…

3 hours ago

President Murmu Celebrates Blind Women’s T20 World Cup Heroes At Rashtrapati Bhavan

President Droupadi Murmu celebrated the Indian Blind Women’s T20 World Cup winners at Rashtrapati Bhavan,…

3 hours ago

Realme C85 5G Packs Big Battery, Fast Display & IP69 Strength At A Budget Price

Realme launches the C85 5G with a 7000 mAh battery, 144 Hz display and IP69…

5 hours ago

Beat Winter Smog: Power Foods That Strengthen Your Lungs

A lung-strengthening diet rich in antioxidants, spices and fibre helps Indians fight winter pollution and…

5 hours ago

AI Deepfake Misrepresents CDS Chauhan; PIB Confirms Video False

PIB fact check debunks AI-manipulated video showing CDS Chauhan falsely claiming India surrendered Arunachal Pradesh…

6 hours ago