World

Companies Agree To Pay USD 45 million Over California Oil Spill

Shipping companies have agreed to pay USD 45 million to thousands of Southern California fishermen, tour companies, and property owners who sued after an offshore oil spill sent crude washing ashore, attorneys said Thursday. A tentative settlement was reached after months of negotiations between the MV Beijing and MSC Danit and their associated companies and the businesses and residents who sued them, the plaintiffs’ lawyers said in a statement.

A federal judge still needs to sign off on the agreement for it to take effect.”Nobody deserves this more than the citizens of Orange County and the coastal community to have this matter resolved quickly,” said Wylie Aitken, co-lead counsel for the plaintiffs, which include businesses that provide surf lessons and leisure cruises and shops that sell swimwear and fishing bait. Messages seeking comment were sent via email to attorneys listed for the vessels.

California Oil Spill: 94,600 litres of crude oil into the Pacific Ocean

A pipeline owned by Amplify Energy Corp. ruptured and spilled 94,600 litres of crude oil into the Pacific Ocean near Huntington Beach in October 2021. While less severe than initially feared, the spill shuttered beaches in the area for a week, fisheries for more than a month, oiled birds, and threatened area wetlands. Southern California residents and business owners sued the Houston-based oil company seeking compensation for their losses, as well as the shipping vessels that Amplify said damaged the pipeline when they dragged their anchors across it during a January 2021 storm.

Also Read: South Africa Declares ‘State of Disaster’ Over Electricity Crisis

Amplify sued the two vessels and an organization that helps oversee marine traffic. A trial on those allegations is scheduled for April 24. “We are pleased to see the ships that struck our pipeline take responsibility for the damages their negligence caused the community following this event,” Amy Conway, an Amplify spokesperson, said in a statement Thursday. Amplify last year agreed to pay the plaintiffs USD 50 million and reached a plea deal with federal authorities for negligently discharging crude.

Shruti Chaturvedi

Recent Posts

Waqf Freed From Mafia Control, New Era Of Development Begins For Muslims: MRM

MRM National Convener Shahid Sayeed urged Muslims to celebrate the moment with pride. He clarified…

27 mins ago

India’s Forex Reserves Surge To $665.4 Billion, Rupee Strengthens As Trade Deficit Narrows

The RBI’s Weekly Statistical Supplement showed that the country’s gold reserves, a key part of…

1 hour ago

Laxmi Singh Leads Gautam Buddha Nagar Police To Historic No 1 Rank In IGRS Across All Stations

The UP govt released the IGRS ranking for March, confirming the Commissionerate’s top position. Gautam…

2 hours ago

Avoid Rhetoric That Vitiates Atmosphere, Ensure Safety Of Hindus In Bangladesh: PM Modi Tells Yunus

Modi urged Yunus and the interim government to avoid rhetoric that “vitiates” the atmosphere between…

2 hours ago

Sensex Falls 931 Points As Trump’s Tariff Move Triggers Global Selloff

The Sensex dropped 930.67 points, or 1.22 per cent, to settle at 75,364.69. It moved…

4 hours ago

Supreme Court To Hear Muslim Side’s Plea In Mathura Dispute On April 8

The SC will hear the Muslim side’s petition in the Mathura Krishna Janmabhoomi dispute on…

4 hours ago