India

Anti-Terror Raids: NIA Conducts Searches In Southern India Against ISIS Sympathisers

At least 60 locations in southern India including Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala were raided by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) today i.e. on Wednesday, in a crackdown against suspects having links with the terror outfit ISIS, according to media reports.

The Anti-terror agency is also raiding more than 45 places in Karnataka.

Raids carried out by NIA

The raids are being carried out in the connection with the 2022 October blast in Tamil Nadu’s Coimbatore and Karnataka’s Mangaluru, the report added.

As per the police, the October 2022 blast in Coimbatore killed Jameza Mubin – who was questioned by the central anti-terror agency over alleged ISIS links in 2019.

Deceased Mubin was driving a car with two open cylinders and one of them exploded last year in October, police said.

A search of his house later led to the recovery of “low-intensive explosive material.”

Also Read: IT Teams at BBC’s Delhi, Mumbai Offices For Survey Operation, Congress Attacks Govt

Taking notes from the blast, Tamil Nadu chief, C Sylendra Babu said that those seemed to be meant for “future plans.”

Last year, in December, NIA had taken over the November 19 Mangaluru auto-rickshaw blast that injured two people including the suspect. Moreover, Mohammad Shareeq, who allegedly had tried to make a bomb in September too, was carrying a low-intensity Improvised Explosive device or IED when it exploded. A burnt pressure cooker fitted with batteries was found inside the auto.

Further, the police said that the blast was not accidental but an “act of terror with the intention to cause serious damage.” A group that calls itself ‘Islamic Resistance Council’ had claimed responsibility for the auto-rickshaw blast.

Alina Khan

Recent Posts

PM Anthony Albanese Marries Jodie Haydon In Intimate Ceremony At The Lodge

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married Jodie Haydon on Saturday at The Lodge, the first…

46 mins ago

NIA Secures Further Custody Of Anmol Bishnoi As Probe Into Terror Syndicate Deepens

The NIA has secured another seven days’ custody of international gangster Anmol Bishnoi, the younger…

2 hours ago

Delhi Police Seek Details On Foreign-Trained Doctors As Red Fort Blast Probe Expands

Delhi Police are seeking details of foreign-trained doctors as part of the Red Fort blast…

2 hours ago

Early RSV Infection Strongly Linked To Higher Childhood Asthma Risk, Scientists Report

Early RSV infection raises childhood asthma risk, especially in allergy-prone families, but newborn protection can…

4 hours ago

National Herald Case: Court Defers Cognisance Decision To 16 December

The Rouse Avenue Court in Delhi on Saturday again deferred its decision on taking cognisance…

5 hours ago

Sensex And Nifty Log Third Week Of Gains On Global Tailwinds

Indian markets posted a third straight week of modest gains, with the Nifty and Sensex…

5 hours ago