World

US To Arrange Charter Flights To Evacuate Its Citizens From Israel: White House

The United States will arrange for charter flights to evacuate its citizens from Israel, the White House said Thursday. So far, 27 American citizens have died in the attacks by the Palestinian militant group, Hamas and 14 remain unaccounted for.

India is the first country to evacuate its citizens from Israel after Hamas’ attack on Israel on October 7.

On the sixth day, the Israeli military said more than 1,300 people, including 222 soldiers, were killed in Israel. In the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, over 1,400 people have been killed in Israel’s offensive against the Palestinian militant group, according to authorities there.

“We are all acutely aware of limited availability right now on commercial flights out of Israel and the demand signal by U.S. citizens who may want to depart. The president has asked his team to ensure that we are assisting U.S. citizens who do want to leave Israel and providing them with a safe means of doing that,” said John Kirby, Coordinator for Strategic Communications at the National Security Council at the White House.

“Beginning tomorrow, the United States government will arrange charter flights to provide transportation from Israel to sites in Europe. They’re still working through some of the details of that to assist U.S. citizens and their immediate family members who have, for whatever reason, not been able to provide commercial transit out of the country,” he said.

The US is also exploring other options to expand the capacity of doing this, including exploring whether it’s possible to help Americans leave by land and by sea. “We are working hard on this, we know there’s a demand signal out there, and we’re going to try the best we can to meet it,” he said.

He encouraged American citizens in need of assistance to please complete the intake form on Travel.State.gov.

“We can now update the number of Americans that we know have been killed to 27 and the number of unaccounted for stands today at 14. We’re obviously doing everything we can to support and inform the families,” Kirby said.

Kirby said that it is a common tactic in the Hamas playbook to break up hostages and move them around in small groups. “So, we have nothing that would indicate to us that they would follow a different set of protocols, but I can’t stand here before you and prove to you that that is exactly what’s happening,” he said.

Kirby refuted allegations that Iran has used the USD 6 billion of American aid. “It’s still sitting in a Qatari bank. All of it. None of that money has been spent, and I have no updates to provide today. ..What I can tell you is that every single dime of that money is still sitting in a Qatari bank. Not one dime of it has been spent,” he said.

This account, although it’s moved from South Korea to Qatar, was set up by the previous administration for the same purpose. “In fact, I think it was back in 2018, the former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo actually talked in quite some detail about how this money in these accounts could only be used for humanitarian purposes and that there was going to be oversight,” he said.

“We’ve done nothing different. It is the same process. All we’ve done is move that fund from South Korea — where, for some technical reasons, it wasn’t accessible to Qatar, where it is more accessible,” Kirby said.

“All that said, none of it has been accessed by the Iranians at all. And even if they had accessed it, it wouldn’t go to the regime, it would go to approved vendors — that we approved — to go buy food, medicine medical equipment, and agricultural products and ship it into Iran directly to the benefit of the Iranian people,” he added.

Sources PTI

Also read: 254-Nepali Pupils Rescued From Conflict-Ridden Israel Return Home

Bharat Express English

Recent Posts

Waqf Freed From Mafia Control, New Era Of Development Begins For Muslims: MRM

MRM National Convener Shahid Sayeed urged Muslims to celebrate the moment with pride. He clarified…

4 mins ago

India’s Forex Reserves Surge To $665.4 Billion, Rupee Strengthens As Trade Deficit Narrows

The RBI’s Weekly Statistical Supplement showed that the country’s gold reserves, a key part of…

49 mins ago

Laxmi Singh Leads Gautam Buddha Nagar Police To Historic No 1 Rank In IGRS Across All Stations

The UP govt released the IGRS ranking for March, confirming the Commissionerate’s top position. Gautam…

2 hours ago

Avoid Rhetoric That Vitiates Atmosphere, Ensure Safety Of Hindus In Bangladesh: PM Modi Tells Yunus

Modi urged Yunus and the interim government to avoid rhetoric that “vitiates” the atmosphere between…

2 hours ago

Sensex Falls 931 Points As Trump’s Tariff Move Triggers Global Selloff

The Sensex dropped 930.67 points, or 1.22 per cent, to settle at 75,364.69. It moved…

3 hours ago

Supreme Court To Hear Muslim Side’s Plea In Mathura Dispute On April 8

The SC will hear the Muslim side’s petition in the Mathura Krishna Janmabhoomi dispute on…

4 hours ago