The White House stated on Friday that Iran was deeply involved in planning operations against commercial vessels in the Red Sea and that its information was vital in allowing Yemen’s Houthi.
Iran-backed Houthis, who claim to be acting in support of Palestinians under Israeli siege in Gaza, have used drones and missiles to target commercial vessels in the Red Sea, forcing shippers to change course and take longer routes around Africa’s southern tip.
In a statement, Adrienne Watson, White House national security spokeswoman said, “We know that Iran was deeply involved in planning the operations against commercial vessels in the Red Sea”.
“This is consistent with Iran’s long-term materiel support and encouragement of the Houthis’ destabilizing actions in the region”, Watson continued.
“This is an international challenge that demands collective action”, Watson added.
Iran denies any role in the Houthis strikes in the Red Sea.
Last week, the United States created a naval coalition of 20 countries to help protect vessels in the Red Sea from assaults. Some of the countries involved have stated that operations to defend commercial traffic will be carried out by existing naval treaties.
Also read: WHO Reports 52% Increase In New COVID Cases Worldwide
The Sensex dropped 930.67 points, or 1.22 per cent, to settle at 75,364.69. It moved…
The SC will hear the Muslim side’s petition in the Mathura Krishna Janmabhoomi dispute on…
Justice Amit Mahajan said that even if DNA proves the accused is the biological father…
The SC allowed Yasin Malik to cross-examine prosecution witnesses via video conferencing from Tihar jail,…
The Delhi HC directed Customs Department officials not to confiscate old or personal jewellery worn…
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday unveiled a 21-point action plan at the BIMSTEC Summit…