UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has welcomed US President Donald Trump’s announcement of a ceasefire between Israel and Iran, expressing hope that the truce will ease tensions and pave the way for wider peace in the Middle East.
In a statement delivered by his spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric, on Tuesday, Guterres urged both parties to respect the ceasefire terms and end hostilities that have already inflicted heavy suffering on civilians.
“The Secretary-General hopes that this ceasefire can be replicated in other conflicts in the region,” said Dujarric, underlining the UN’s broader peacekeeping goals.
Earlier in the day, President Trump made a surprise announcement via the social media platform Truth Social, declaring that a ceasefire had officially come into effect.
“THE CEASEFIRE IS NOW IN EFFECT. PLEASE DO NOT VIOLATE IT! DONALD J. TRUMP, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!” he posted in capital letters.
The declaration came amid ongoing violence in the Middle East, particularly a sharp escalation in confrontations between Israeli and Iranian forces.
Trump claimed both nations had independently reached out to him in pursuit of peace.
“Israel & Iran came to me, almost simultaneously, and said, ‘Peace’! I knew the time was NOW,” Trump wrote. “The World, and the Middle East, are the real winners! Both Nations will see tremendous love, peace and prosperity in their futures.”
However, Trump’s proclamation appeared to catch officials in Tehran by surprise. Iranian authorities denied receiving any formal proposal from Washington and stated they had not agreed to a bilateral ceasefire.
Despite this, Iran had earlier declared a unilateral halt to military actions against Israel, effective from 4 a.m. local time.
Iran made clear that its restraint was conditional upon Israel ceasing its own airstrikes and military operations.
Without mutual adherence, the Iranian statement implied, the pause in hostilities could be temporary.
While questions remain regarding the full scope and authenticity of the ceasefire agreement, the UN’s support adds diplomatic weight to the call for de-escalation.
Guterres reiterated the suffering of ordinary people caught in the crossfire and expressed hope that this moment could initiate a broader peace process.
The ceasefire announcement, though controversial, has drawn global attention and ignited cautious optimism about the possibility of calming one of the world’s most volatile regions.
Whether this tentative step holds remains to be seen, but for now, international focus is on maintaining the fragile pause in hostilities.
Also Read: Engineered Wars, Begged Ceasefires, & Humanity Sold For Profit
India clinched a tense 17-run win in the first ODI at Ranchi, powered by Kohli’s…
At the “Shubhkamnayeh” launch in Delhi, Upendrra Rai says machines cannot replace the human soul,…
PM Modi urged police leaders to embrace AI, data intelligence, and trust-building strategies to shape…
Coupang confirms a massive breach affecting 33.7 million users, triggering national scrutiny, regulatory action, and…
The Supreme Court’s Constitution Bench restored constitutional balance by rejecting fixed timelines and limiting intervention…
Lyricist Vairamuthu credits Rajinikanth’s discipline, humility, and unwavering work ethic as the true engines behind…