World

Ukraine Rejects Calls To Freeze Russia Conflict

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said on Wednesday that discussions to end the war with Russia could not begin with a cease-fire.

In an online conference with African media, he said, “If anyone thinks they should freeze the conflict and then see how to solve it, they don’t understand it”.

More than 100 rounds of dialogue and cease-fire negotiations since Russia’s annexation of Crimea from Ukraine in 2014, he claims, have only resulted in a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

A spokesperson for South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said, “A delegation of African heads of state is planning to visit Ukraine and Russia in the next few days hope to persuade them to end hostilities”.

He stated on Wednesday that no date for the mission has been set.

Such a proposal implies that Russian forces would remain on Ukrainian soil even when peace talks begin.

Ukraine previously stated that Russian forces should withdraw before such talks could begin, while Moscow demands that Kyiv accept Russian sovereignty over Crimea as a precondition for talks.

Senegal’s President Macky Sall, who was not present at the most recent United Nations vote condemning Russia in February this year, leads the movement.

Comoros Islands President Othman Ghazali, the current African Union chairman, was just appointed to the delegation.

It also includes Egyptian presidents Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and Zambian Hakainde Hichilema, both of whom voted in favor of the resolution, as well as Congo Republic’s Denis Sassou Nguesso, and Ugandan Yoweri Museveni, both of whom abstained, as did South Africa.

Kuleba has been on a charm offensive in Africa, where 30 of the 54 African U.N. member states voted in favor of the resolution condemning Russia’s incursion.

Kuleba stated, “What we see in our relations with the continent right now is fair to call a Ukrainian-African Renaissance”.

He had no idea what the African peace mission entailed, but he accepted it nonetheless.

“We are excited to welcome these presidents in Kyiv”, Kuleba added.

Also read: US Space Force To launch ‘Silent Barker’ To Counter Russia, China Threats

Spriha Rai

Recent Posts

Realme C85 5G Packs Big Battery, Fast Display & IP69 Strength At A Budget Price

Realme launches the C85 5G with a 7000 mAh battery, 144 Hz display and IP69…

1 hour ago

Beat Winter Smog: Power Foods That Strengthen Your Lungs

A lung-strengthening diet rich in antioxidants, spices and fibre helps Indians fight winter pollution and…

2 hours ago

AI Deepfake Misrepresents CDS Chauhan; PIB Confirms Video False

PIB fact check debunks AI-manipulated video showing CDS Chauhan falsely claiming India surrendered Arunachal Pradesh…

3 hours ago

Targeted Attacks Label LIC’s Adani, Reliance Stakes As Risky

Growing pressure campaigns aim to influence LIC’s investment decisions, raising concerns about destabilising long-term infrastructure…

3 hours ago

Queensland Court Blocks Activist As Adani’s Carmichael Mine Wins Confidentiality Battle

A Queensland court permanently barred activist Ben Pennings from seeking Adani’s confidential Carmichael mine data,…

4 hours ago

PM Modi & Acharya Pramod Krishnam Steer Kalki Dham’s Rapid Rise In Sambhal

The ongoing construction of Shri Kalki Dham in Sambhal shows rapid progress as skilled artisans…

5 hours ago