World

South Sudan Clashes Result In 16 Deaths, Over 79,000 Displacement

Clashes between the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) and the Sudan People’s Liberation Army-in-Opposition (SPLA-IO) in Nagero County have resulted in at least 16 deaths, including one soldier since the fighting began.

The conflict, which has escalated over the past several days, has also displaced more than 79,000 people, many of whom are seeking refuge in the bush, according to local officials.

Henry Bangada Assaya, the commissioner of Nagero County, confirmed the death toll and reported ongoing violence in the region.

“The fighting was still ongoing even on Wednesday evening. I witnessed heavy military weapons heading to the conflict zone,” Bangada told Xinhua on Thursday. He added that the fighting has spread to Bazia in Western Bahr El Ghazal State.

South Sudan Clash Results In Casualties

Lul Ruai Koang, spokesperson for the SSPDF, explained that the violence erupted after SPLA-IO forces refused to dismantle an illegal checkpoint at Kubri-Boo Bridge.

Initially, the SSPDF believed the conflict stemmed from a few SPLA-IO fighters resisting the removal of the roadblock. However, after the roadblock was taken down, SPLA-IO forces launched an attack on the SSPDF, which was repulsed, but they returned with renewed force.

According to Koang, on Tuesday evening, SPLA-IO forces crossed into SSPDF-controlled territory and ambushed government troops, resulting in the death of one soldier and injuries to three others. The SSPDF later faced additional attacks at Kubri-Boo and Zamoi, continuing throughout the week.

SPLA-IO Accuses SSPDF Of Provoking Conflict

On the other side, Ali Solomon Simon, the SPLA-IO sector commander in Nagero, blamed the SSPDF for provoking the violence. Simon said his forces had been stationed at a cantonment site, awaiting the second phase of unified forces training, when SSPDF soldiers attacked his men.

Simon expressed frustration, saying that a peaceful resolution could have been reached over the roadblock issue. “If they wanted my forces to vacate the roadblock, we should have sat down and discussed it,” he said.

“But now they started a war with my forces. I am disappointed because we are supposed to be implementing the 2018 revitalized peace agreement, but instead, the government soldiers are fighting us.”

Simon also confirmed that the fighting has spread to Bazia, where his forces are currently stationed.

Also Read: Moscow Expresses Support For Gaza Ceasefire Agreement

Purnima Mishra

Recent Posts

PM Modi Meets Bhutan PM Tobgay At BIMSTEC Summit; Highlights Strong Bilateral Ties & Regional Cooperation

PM Narendra Modi met Bhutanese PM Tshering Tobgay on the sidelines of the 6th BIMSTEC…

3 hours ago

Jamia Students Back Waqf Amendment Bill; Call It A Step Toward Empowerment

The student group 'Shaher-E-Arzoo' expressed firm support for the Waqf Amendment Bill, calling it a…

5 hours ago

India’s Exports To The US Face Limited Impact From Tariff Hike: SBI Report

The 27% tariff hike by US President Donald Trump on Indian goods will have only…

6 hours ago

Waqf Freed From Mafia Control, New Era Of Development Begins For Muslims: MRM

Following the passage of the Waqf Amendment Bill 2024 in both Houses of Parliament, celebrations…

7 hours ago

India’s Forex Reserves Surge To $665.4 Billion; Rupee Strengthens As Trade Deficit Narrows

India’s forex reserves jumped $6.6 billion to a five-month high of $665.4 billion for the…

8 hours ago

Laxmi Singh Leads Gautam Buddha Nagar Police To Historic No 1 Rank In IGRS Across All Stations

Gautam Buddha Nagar Police, led by CP Laxmi Singh, achieved a historic feat with all…

8 hours ago