World

Chinese Fighter Jet Intercepts US Military Aircraft Over South China Sea

A Chinese military plane came within 20 feet (6 metres) of the nose of a U.S. air force aircraft in the contested South China Sea last week and forced it to take evasive maneuvers to avoid a collision in international airspace, the U.S. military said on Thursday.

The close encounter followed what the United States has called a recent trend of increasingly dangerous behavior by Chinese military aircraft that have also “buzzed” planes of other countries that operate in the region including Canada.

The latest incident, which involved a Chinese Navy J-11 fighter jet and a U.S. air force RC-135 aircraft, took place on Dec. 21, the U.S. military said in a statement.

“The U.S. Indo-Pacific Joint Force is dedicated to a free and open Indo-Pacific region and will continue to fly, sail and operate at sea and in international airspace with due regard for the safety of all vessels and aircraft under international law,” the statement said.

The Chinese embassy in Washington D.C. did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Also read: Antony Blinken: China Is America’s ‘Only Competitor’ With Intent To Reshape International Order

Prior, China has said that the United States sending ships and aircraft into the South China Sea is not good for peace.

U.S. military planes and ships routinely carry out surveillance operations and travel through the region.

China claims vast swathes of the South China Sea that overlap with the exclusive economic zones of Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and the Philippines.

China claims much of the South China Sea as part of its territorial waters, including many of the islands in the disputed body of water, some of which Beijing has militarized.

The US does not recognize these territorial claims and routinely conducts operations there, including freedom of navigation operations through the South China Sea.

Despite tensions between the United States and China, U.S. military officials have long sought to maintain open lines of communication with their Chinese counterparts to mitigate the risk of potential flare-ups or deal with any accidents.

Spriha Rai

Recent Posts

Waqf Freed From Mafia Control, New Era Of Development Begins For Muslims: MRM

MRM National Convener Shahid Sayeed urged Muslims to celebrate the moment with pride. He clarified…

15 mins ago

India’s Forex Reserves Surge To $665.4 Billion, Rupee Strengthens As Trade Deficit Narrows

The RBI’s Weekly Statistical Supplement showed that the country’s gold reserves, a key part of…

1 hour ago

Laxmi Singh Leads Gautam Buddha Nagar Police To Historic No 1 Rank In IGRS Across All Stations

The UP govt released the IGRS ranking for March, confirming the Commissionerate’s top position. Gautam…

2 hours ago

Avoid Rhetoric That Vitiates Atmosphere, Ensure Safety Of Hindus In Bangladesh: PM Modi Tells Yunus

Modi urged Yunus and the interim government to avoid rhetoric that “vitiates” the atmosphere between…

2 hours ago

Sensex Falls 931 Points As Trump’s Tariff Move Triggers Global Selloff

The Sensex dropped 930.67 points, or 1.22 per cent, to settle at 75,364.69. It moved…

4 hours ago

Supreme Court To Hear Muslim Side’s Plea In Mathura Dispute On April 8

The SC will hear the Muslim side’s petition in the Mathura Krishna Janmabhoomi dispute on…

4 hours ago