For Navdeep Saini, those few hours were quite a roller coaster. He was informed that he had been called up to India’s team for the two-Test series in the West Indies as soon as he touched down in London on Friday morning for a county spell.
Saini told The Indian Express from the British capital, “I came here to play county (cricket), landing today itself, and the instant I stepped out of the airport, I received the news that I have been selected for the West Indies tour.
Saini, one of the champions of the well-known Brisbane triumph in 2021, has not participated in a Test match since. Since Mukesh Kumar and Jaydev Unadkat are vying for the third pacer’s position in the playing XI, Mohammed Shami may have an advantage because he is the only bowler on the team who can hit the deck and 140 kmph.
Sincerely, I did not anticipate this call. Yes, I did train with a Dukes ball during the IPL because I believed I might be selected as a standby for the World Test Championship final or be selected as a net bowler, according to Saini.
The 30-year-old signed a four-match contract with Worcestershire, but he may have to end his stay early due to the call-up for India.
“I’m hoping to play in one game before I head to the West Indies. Getting some overs under my belt will be helpful for my preparation, he remarked.
Prior to the second and final match in Trinidad from July 20–24, India plays the opening Test of its Caribbean tour in Dominica from July 12–16.
While Saini won’t be available to play against Yorkshire (July 10-13), Leicestershire (July 19-22), or Gloucestershire (July 26-29), he is anticipated to play against Derbyshire in the game beginning on Sunday.
Saini has been a frequent guest at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru ever since his exploits at the Gabba, where he bowled during the second innings while suffering from a groyne injury. He sustained injury after injury, missing the entire Ranji Trophy season as a result of an abdominal strain.
He stated, “A fast bowler is prone to injury. The absence of repeated injuries, which can be extremely annoying, was a plus for me. But because I kept choosing different injuries, it was also a little aggravating. We have no control over it. My whole attention was on recovery and making a return after I accepted it, the pacer added.
Saini, a native of Taraori, Haryana, claims he has always been aware of his potential for an India call-up and has been waiting for an opportunity.
“Fortunately, whether I was a squad player or a net bowler, I have always travelled with the team. The management of the team has faith in my abilities. I was constantly involved. I was constantly near. I just had to stick to my method because I knew I would get my chance.
My second trip to the West Indies will be this one. I didn’t get the chance to play the last time, but hopefully I will this time. I am aware of the situation. The pitches are comparable to those back home—low and sluggish,” he remarked.
India clinched a tense 17-run win in the first ODI at Ranchi, powered by Kohli’s…
At the “Shubhkamnayeh” launch in Delhi, Upendrra Rai says machines cannot replace the human soul,…
PM Modi urged police leaders to embrace AI, data intelligence, and trust-building strategies to shape…
Coupang confirms a massive breach affecting 33.7 million users, triggering national scrutiny, regulatory action, and…
The Supreme Court’s Constitution Bench restored constitutional balance by rejecting fixed timelines and limiting intervention…
Lyricist Vairamuthu credits Rajinikanth’s discipline, humility, and unwavering work ethic as the true engines behind…