Sports

FIFA Women’s World Cup: New Zealand Squad Evacuated Given Hotel Fire

The women’s World Cup squad from New Zealand was temporarily evacuated from its hotel in Auckland on Saturday due to a fire.

It was not immediately apparent what sparked it, but a Fire and Emergency official told the media that there had been multiple blazes at the hotel, which had now been extinguished.

According to the spokesperson, some people at the hotel were treated for smoke inhalation but no one was seriously injured.

“The upper floors were affected by smoke but the situation was swiftly brought under control”, a hotel staff member told the media.

The fire department stated that it was not considered suspicious.

“New Zealand Football can confirm that the Football Ferns team and staff have been temporarily evacuated from the Pullman Hotel, their team base for the FIFA Women’s World Cup, due to a fire”, the governing body said in a statement.

“Everyone on the team and staff is safe and sound”, the statement reads.

New Zealand, which is co-hosting the World Cup with Australia, defeated Norway 1-0 in the tournament’s opening match on Thursday.

Also read: Malaysia Cancels Music Festival Due To An Onstage Same-Sex Kiss

Spriha Rai

Recent Posts

Targeted Attacks Label LIC’s Adani, Reliance Stakes As Risky

Growing pressure campaigns aim to influence LIC’s investment decisions, raising concerns about destabilising long-term infrastructure…

30 mins ago

Queensland Court Blocks Activist As Adani’s Carmichael Mine Wins Confidentiality Battle

A Queensland court permanently barred activist Ben Pennings from seeking Adani’s confidential Carmichael mine data,…

46 mins ago

PM Modi & Acharya Pramod Krishnam Steer Kalki Dham’s Rapid Rise In Sambhal

The ongoing construction of Shri Kalki Dham in Sambhal shows rapid progress as skilled artisans…

2 hours ago

PM Anthony Albanese Marries Jodie Haydon In Intimate Ceremony At The Lodge

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married Jodie Haydon on Saturday at The Lodge, the first…

3 hours ago

NIA Secures Further Custody Of Anmol Bishnoi As Probe Into Terror Syndicate Deepens

The NIA has secured another seven days’ custody of international gangster Anmol Bishnoi, the younger…

4 hours ago

Delhi Police Seek Details On Foreign-Trained Doctors As Red Fort Blast Probe Expands

Delhi Police are seeking details of foreign-trained doctors as part of the Red Fort blast…

4 hours ago