India

CBI Raids Jammu And Kashmir Governor’s Home In Relation To Kiru Hydro Electric Power Project

As part of an investigation into allegations of corruption in the Kiru Hydro Electric Power Project, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) conducted raids on Thursday at 29 different locations, including the home of former governor of Jammu and Kashmir Satya Pal Malik. About 100 officers were involved in the operation, which started in the morning and involved 30 different locations spread across several cities.

Kiru Hydro Electric Power Project

The case concerns alleged corruption in the civil work awarding process for the Rs 2,200 crore Kiru Hydro Electric Power Project (HEP). Former Jammu and Kashmir governor Satya Pal Malik had previously stated that he received an offer of Rs 300 crore in exchange for approving some files, one of which was connected to the project. Malik held office from August 2018 to October 2019.

“The case was registered based on allegations of malpractices in awarding a contract worth approximately Rs 2,200 crore for the civil works of the Kiru Hydro Electric Power Project to a private company in 2019,” stated the CBI.

The agency has also brought charges against M S Babu, M K Mittal, Arun Kumar Mishra, and Patel Engineering Ltd. in addition to former Chenab Valley Power Projects (P) Ltd. chairman Navin Kumar Chaudhary.

Also Read: Explosive Discovery: 54 Detonators Uncovered at Kalyan Railway Station

Satyapal Malik: Not afraid of these raids

Confirming the raids, Satyapal Malik said the he will not get afraid of these raid. “I have been ill for the last 3-4 days and am admitted to the hospital. Despite this, my house is being raided by the dictator through government agencies. My driver and my assistant are also being raided and harassed unnecessarily. I am a farmer’s son, I will not be afraid of these raids. I am with the farmers,” Satyapal Malik said.

The FIR claims that although CVPPPL (Chenab Valley Power Projects (P) Ltd) decided at its 47th board meeting to re-tender the project using an electronic bidding process with a reverse auction following the cancellation of the current tendering process, this decision was not carried out in accordance with the 48th board meeting’s decision. Patel Engineering Ltd. was ultimately granted the tender instead.

Five people had searches done at their homes by the CBI in January in relation to this case. An investigation into the purported corruption is still ongoing.

Srishti Verma

Recent Posts

India’s Forex Reserves Surge To $665.4 Billion, Rupee Strengthens As Trade Deficit Narrows

The RBI’s Weekly Statistical Supplement showed that the country’s gold reserves, a key part of…

38 mins ago

Laxmi Singh Leads Gautam Buddha Nagar Police To Historic No 1 Rank In IGRS Across All Stations

The UP govt released the IGRS ranking for March, confirming the Commissionerate’s top position. Gautam…

2 hours ago

Avoid Rhetoric That Vitiates Atmosphere, Ensure Safety Of Hindus In Bangladesh: PM Modi Tells Yunus

Modi urged Yunus and the interim government to avoid rhetoric that “vitiates” the atmosphere between…

2 hours ago

Sensex Falls 931 Points As Trump’s Tariff Move Triggers Global Selloff

The Sensex dropped 930.67 points, or 1.22 per cent, to settle at 75,364.69. It moved…

3 hours ago

Supreme Court To Hear Muslim Side’s Plea In Mathura Dispute On April 8

The SC will hear the Muslim side’s petition in the Mathura Krishna Janmabhoomi dispute on…

4 hours ago

DNA Can’t Confirm Rape Without Proof Of Lack Of Consent: Delhi High Court

Justice Amit Mahajan said that even if DNA proves the accused is the biological father…

4 hours ago