World

Los Angeles Wildfires Continue To Surge, Death Toll Rises To 24

The death toll from the devastating wildfires in Los Angeles has risen to 24, with firefighters battling multiple blazes across the county. The wildfires have become one of the most destructive events in the history of the United States’ most populous county.

As per the reports, the Palisades Fire has burned through 19,978 acres with just six per cent containment as of Thursday night. Meanwhile, the Eaton Fire has scorched 13,690 acres and remains completely uncontained.

Los Angeles Wildfire Casualties

For residents like Michael, an accountant in Altadena where the Eaton Fire began, the destruction has been overwhelming. Michael, who was evacuated just moments before his home was engulfed by flames, described the experience as “like living through Armageddon.” He said, choking back tears, “We’ve lost everything.”

Los Angeles Fire Chief Kristin Crowley described the wildfires as among the county’s most destructive natural disasters. So far, more than 10,000 buildings have been destroyed, primarily due to the Palisades and Eaton fires.

Wildfire’s First Fatality Reported In Malibu

The first fatality linked to the Palisades Fire occurred in Malibu on Thursday. Officials have yet to determine the exact cause of death while the probe is going on.
Malibu Mayor Doug Stewart expressed deep sorrow, offering condolences to the victim’s loved ones. “This tragedy weighs heavily on our hearts,” he said.

The fires have forced the evacuation of tens of thousands of residents, with at least 70,000 homes under threat. Over 10,000 homes have already been destroyed. In some evacuation zones, looting has been reported, leading to multiple arrests.

As the fires continue to ravage Los Angeles, residents remain in fear, and officials work tirelessly to manage the ongoing disaster.

Also Read: Israeli PM Netanyahu, US President Biden Discuss Gaza Hostage Deal

Purnima Mishra

Recent Posts

Dalmia Cement (Bharat) Faces GST Notices Totalling ₹266 Crore

Dalmia Cement (Bharat) Limited has been issued GST show-cause notices amounting to ₹266.3 crore for…

2 mins ago

PM Modi Applauds India’s Historic Sporting Wins In ‘Mann Ki Baat’

In the 128th episode of Mann Ki Baat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi praised India’s athletes…

20 mins ago

PM Modi Highlights Indian Handicrafts & Swadeshi Spirit During G-20

Prime Minister Narendra Modi emphasised the spirit of ‘Vocal for Local’ while selecting gifts for…

54 mins ago

PM Modi Highlights Heartfelt Bhutan Visit; Praises Global Reverence For Buddha Relics

During the 128th episode of his monthly radio programme ‘Mann Ki Baat’, PM Modi shared…

1 hour ago

PM Modi Highlights Growth Of Winter Tourism In Uttarakhand; Encourages Himalayan Visits

PM Modi highlighted Uttarakhand’s expanding winter tourism sector during the 128th episode of his monthly…

2 hours ago

PM Modi Hails INS Mahe Induction; Calls Indian Navy’s Self-Reliance A Matter Of National Pride

Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in the 128th episode of his monthly radio programme ‘Mann Ki…

2 hours ago