World

Flash Flood In Yemen Claims 25 Lives

A local health source revealed that 25 lives have been lost since flood struck the Al-Mehwit region of Yemen. 24 hour long downpour caused the flash flood that damaged the three dams and swept away dozens of the houses in the Malhan district Tuesday.

Rescue operations are underway to find the missing villagers, a source reported. Earlier this month,  45 people had lost their lives due the heavy rain and flash floods in Hodeidah and Hajjah. It also had damaged over 12,000 homes, according to local health authorities, Xinhua news agency reported.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has expressed concern about potential disease outbreaks due to contaminated water and poor sanitation during the rainy season in Yemen. The country is already struggling with a civil war that began in 2014 when the Houthi group seized several northern provinces, causing the Yemeni government to flee the capital, Sanaa.

Also Read: PMJDY, Worlds Largest Financial Inclusion Scheme: Says Nirmala

On August 25, flash floods and landslides in Indonesia’s North Maluku province resulted in the discovery of 13 bodies, with six people still missing, said a senior official.

Yemen, which has been embroiled in a near-decade-long war, faces severe floods almost annually. These floods are triggered by torrential rainfall, with climate change worsening the frequency and intensity of precipitation.

Since July, flash floods have resulted in 36 deaths in Hodeida province, nine in Ibb, eight in Marib, and seven in Taiz, according to a report released on August 19 by the UN humanitarian agency OCHA.

Shibra Arshad

Recent Posts

Realme C85 5G Packs Big Battery, Fast Display & IP69 Strength At A Budget Price

Realme launches the C85 5G with a 7000 mAh battery, 144 Hz display and IP69…

1 hour ago

Beat Winter Smog: Power Foods That Strengthen Your Lungs

A lung-strengthening diet rich in antioxidants, spices and fibre helps Indians fight winter pollution and…

2 hours ago

AI Deepfake Misrepresents CDS Chauhan; PIB Confirms Video False

PIB fact check debunks AI-manipulated video showing CDS Chauhan falsely claiming India surrendered Arunachal Pradesh…

3 hours ago

Targeted Attacks Label LIC’s Adani, Reliance Stakes As Risky

Growing pressure campaigns aim to influence LIC’s investment decisions, raising concerns about destabilising long-term infrastructure…

3 hours ago

Queensland Court Blocks Activist As Adani’s Carmichael Mine Wins Confidentiality Battle

A Queensland court permanently barred activist Ben Pennings from seeking Adani’s confidential Carmichael mine data,…

4 hours ago

PM Modi & Acharya Pramod Krishnam Steer Kalki Dham’s Rapid Rise In Sambhal

The ongoing construction of Shri Kalki Dham in Sambhal shows rapid progress as skilled artisans…

5 hours ago