India

“I Would Have Apologised By Now…” Stated Rahul Gandhi In “Modi Surname” Case

While adamantly claiming his innocence in the “Modi surname” remark case, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi asked the Supreme Court on Wednesday to stay his two-year conviction so he may take part in the current Lok Sabha session and sessions to come.

Rahul Gandhi in the “Modi Surname” case made the following remarks about Prime Minister Narendra Modi in April 2019 during a rally in Kolar, Karnataka: “How come all the thieves have Modi as the common surname?”

The conviction is “unstable,” says Mr. Gandhi

In an affidavit submitted to the Supreme Court, Mr. Gandhi stated that he has consistently maintained his innocence and that the conviction is “unsustainable.” He added that if he had been required to apologise and compound the charge, “he would have done it much earlier.”

Also Read: Javed Akhtar Reaches Court Over Summons Issued In Case Filed By Kangana Ranaut, Says Order ‘Grave Miscarriage Of Justice’

A derogatory remark in Rahul Gandhi “Modi Surname” case

According to Mr. Gandhi’s affidavit, the complainant, Gujarat BJP MLA Purnesh Ishwarbhai Modi, only used derogatory language like “arrogant” to describe him because he has refused to apologise. It is an obvious misuse of the judicial system and should not be tolerated by this court. It an effort to “arm twist” Mr. Gandhi into making an apology for no fault by using the criminal procedure and the penalties under the Representation of Peoples Act.

Purnesh Ishwarbhai Modi earlier had stated that “At the time of sentencing before the Trial Court, the Petitioner far from being repentant or contrite, displayed arrogance. He said he did not seek any mercy from the court and would not apologise for any harm to the reputation of the persons he had defamed. Subsequent to the order of conviction and sentence, in a press conference, the petitioner said that he would never apologise in this case as he was not a Savarkar, but a Gandhi,”

Also Read: Manipur Horror In Pilibhit: Strip-Naked Woman Assaulted By Men Who Broke Into Her Residence, Video Went Viral

Rahul pleads court to let him participate in the upcoming elections.

According to the affidavit, Mr. Gandhi has a “exceptional” case because the crime was so minor. Also, because his standing as an elected MP has been irreparably damaged. “On the other hand, there is no prejudice caused at all to the complainant. It is therefore prayed for that the conviction of Gandhi be stayed, enabling him to participate in the ongoing sittings of the Lok Sabha and the sessions thereafter,” Mr Gandhi said.

Srishti Verma

Recent Posts

Waqf Freed From Mafia Control, New Era Of Development Begins For Muslims: MRM

MRM National Convener Shahid Sayeed urged Muslims to celebrate the moment with pride. He clarified…

53 mins ago

India’s Forex Reserves Surge To $665.4 Billion, Rupee Strengthens As Trade Deficit Narrows

The RBI’s Weekly Statistical Supplement showed that the country’s gold reserves, a key part of…

2 hours ago

Laxmi Singh Leads Gautam Buddha Nagar Police To Historic No 1 Rank In IGRS Across All Stations

The UP govt released the IGRS ranking for March, confirming the Commissionerate’s top position. Gautam…

3 hours ago

Avoid Rhetoric That Vitiates Atmosphere, Ensure Safety Of Hindus In Bangladesh: PM Modi Tells Yunus

Modi urged Yunus and the interim government to avoid rhetoric that “vitiates” the atmosphere between…

3 hours ago

Sensex Falls 931 Points As Trump’s Tariff Move Triggers Global Selloff

The Sensex dropped 930.67 points, or 1.22 per cent, to settle at 75,364.69. It moved…

4 hours ago

Supreme Court To Hear Muslim Side’s Plea In Mathura Dispute On April 8

The SC will hear the Muslim side’s petition in the Mathura Krishna Janmabhoomi dispute on…

5 hours ago